HOW TO APPLY
AMIGOS gives you an exciting chance to have an adventure and explore the world outside of a classroom. You will live in a new country and work on sustainable community service projects while living with a host family. These experiences prepare you for your future, improve your Spanish, and build your confidence. You develop leadership skills that will set you apart in college and throughout your career. With AMIGOS, you will learn about the world by living in it. Click here to explore our 2019 Summer Programs.
READY TO START YOUR APPLICATION?
1. Click here to start your application. Make sure to select that you are applying for the Ohio chapter.
2. Complete your application and pay your $50 application fee. If you are applying for financial aid, complete the financial aid section within the application.
3. Attend an info session.
November 5th: Financial Aid Deadline
December 3rd: Final Application Deadline
Personal interviews will be scheduled on a one-by-one basis. Complete your application and contact us at Recruitment@amigos-ohio.org to schedule one today!
The AMIGOS Ohio Chapter is part of a 25 Chapter Network that recruits, trains, and supports AMIGOS volunteers and families in their local community. Volunteers from the Northeast Ohio area train together as a group before leaving for their summer experience in Latin America. Our board supports volunteers with packing, pre-departure immunizations, fundraising, and overall preparation. Our chapter accepts participants September through December of the fall prior to each summer experience. During the months of January through June, Ohio Chapter participants will take part in local training and fundraising events as they prepare for their AMIGOS experience.
Ohio Volunteers Attend:
Archbishop Hoban • Case Western Reserve • Chippewa • Green • Hawken • Hudson • Kent State • Norton • Solon • St. Vincent-St. Mary • Stow Munroe • Theodore Roosevelt • University of Akron • University of Mount Union
FEES & FUNDING
The Ohio Chapter covers AMIGOS program costs through a combination of family payments and fundraising activities. This approach allows us to keep costs to families low while teaching valuable fundraising and community outreach skills. All participants are required to fully take part in each fundraising activity as fundraising skills are an important component of AMIGOS training program and raise awareness of AMIGOS programs in the community. Participants receive considerable help with regard to fundraising strategies, and the experience gained in this effort will build important skills!
LETTER WRITING/Online Giving Campaign
Each participant is required to send out a combination of letters and emails to friends and family as well as local businesses, to request individual tax-deductible donations (the revenue from this effort is pooled). Letters are written by the participant with considerable help provided by the chapter during the process. With the support of the chapter, participants also set up online giving platforms to collect additional donations through social media.
Family Fee: $2,975 (Payment plans available)
Application Fee: $50 (Non-refundable and not included in the Family Fee)
- Round-trip international airfare
- Training materials and workshops
- Secondary short-term international medical insurance
- Program excursions
- Food, lodging, and transportation in Latin America
- Supplies for community project and extracurricular activities
- 24-hour On Call Emergency Management System
- Travel hotline and support
Click here for more information about our Fees & Funding.
DUE DATES AND PAYMENT OPTIONS
- Participants pay their family fees beginning December 2018. The fee must be paid in full by April 15, 2018.
- Fees can be paid online or by mail. Payment plans are available.
AMIGOS actively recruits and supports inclusion of participants from diverse backgrounds. AMIGOS provides needs-based financial assistance with distribution determined by family income, number of dependents and special financial circumstances. We provide financial assistance to qualified applicants as deductions on the family fee. The deadline for financial assistance applications are to be announced. Please contact Chapter President for additional information. In addition, participants who are returning for an additional summer receive a $365 discount.
The transformative AMIGOS experience starts before leaving home.
With 50 years of experience preparing young people for travel and service abroad, AMIGOS training offers unparalleled global youth leadership development. Pre-departure training equips participants with the critical thinking, communication skills, and technical knowledge they need to make a meaningful impact across cultures while staying healthy and safe. The Ohio Chapter AMIGOS training is youth-led, experiential learning that prepares participants for their AMIGOS experience, builds a community of youth and families with shared values, and develops life-skills to help participants succeed beyond AMIGOS.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE TRAINING PROGRAM INCLUDE:
- Unparalleled leadership development
- Cross-cultural awareness and understanding
- Hands-on training for technical aspects of the program
- Extensive health and safety training
- Opportunities to practice Spanish
- Creating a community of young people with shared values
THE TIME COMMITMENT FOR TRAINING ACTIVITIES INCLUDES:
- Sunday trainings (1pm-5pm) at Kent State University (approximately twice a month from December-April)
- Two overnight retreats (late January and early April)
- Four online assessments to determine readiness for the summer
Sunday, December 2nd
Orientation (Parents & Volunteers)
Sunday, December 9th
Saturday, January 19th
All Day Retreat
Sunday, February 17th
Training & Letter Writing (Parents & Volunteers)
Saturday, March 10th
Training & Letter Writing
Sunday, April 14th
Sunday, May 5th
Parents & Volunteers
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Recruitment and Training
At Large Board Member